The word หลัง (lǎŋ) is used as the word after in Thai. There are several ways to make a use of this word. Let’s learn those four common ways to say after in Thai. (ก่อน (kɔ̀ɔn) is the antonym of หลัง (lǎŋ). Read more about it >>)
หลัง (lǎŋ), หลังจาก (lǎŋ-càak) as a preposition
- The words หลัง (lǎŋ) means and หลังจาก (lǎŋ càak) used to connect two sentences together to show that a particular event or action happens later than another. These two words are interchangeable. You can place this word at the beginning of either the first sentence or the second sentence.
a sentence + หลัง (lǎŋ) + a sentence
– khun ca tham ʔaray lǎŋ lə̂ək ŋaan.
– What will you do after work?
– phûak-khàw mây mii khwaam-sùk lǎŋ tæ̀ŋ-ŋaan.
– They are not happy after getting married.
– lǎŋ rian phaasǎa Thai, phǒm ca pay kin khâaw
– After studying Thai, I will go to eat.
a sentence + หลังจาก (lǎŋ càak) + a sentence
– lǎŋ càak fǒn tòk, dæ̀æt kɔ̂ɔ ʔɔ̀ɔk.
– After raining, the sun then shine.
– chán ca pay hǎa khun lǎŋ càak pay duu nǎŋ.
– I will go to see you after going to a movie.
– lǎŋ càak rian còp, kháw ca pay tham-ŋaan tàaŋ-prathêet.
– After graduate, he will go to work abroad.
หลัง (lǎŋ) as a preposition
- หลัง (lǎŋ) used to show that something happens later than or ahead of something, someone or a certain time.
หลัง (lǎŋ) + noun
– chán nɔɔn làp lǎŋ kháw talɔ̀ɔt
– I always fall asleep after her.
– rót phǒm yùu lǎŋ rót khun
– My car is after your car.
– raw ca càt paatîi lǎŋ wan haaloowiin.
– We will organize a party after Halloween day.
– chán ca wâaŋ lǎŋ 6 mooŋ yen.
– I will be free after 6pm.
หลังจากนั้น (lǎŋ càak nán) – After that
- หลังจากนั้น (lǎŋ càak nán) literally means after from that. You use it as in the English word after that.
– phǒm hěn kháw dəən khâw bâan. lǎŋ càak nán phǒm kɔ̂ɔ dâay-yin sǐaŋ pɨɨn.
– I saw him walk into the house. After that I heard a gun shot.
– khun phûut ʔaray lǎŋ càak nán.
– What did you say after that?
– chán khàp rót pay sòŋ lûuk thîi rooŋ-rian, lǎŋ càak nán chán kɔ̂ɔ klàp bâan.
– I drove my kid to school, after that I came back home.
– khun ʔaw khayà pay thíŋ kɔ̀ɔn, lǎŋ càak nán khun yàak tham ʔaray kɔ̂ɔ tham
– You take a trash to dispose first, after that you can do whatever you like.
หลังจากนี้ (lǎŋ càak níi) – After this
- After this (lǎŋ càak níi) literally means after from this. It is used as the English terms after this and from now on.
– lǎŋ càak níi khun ca tham ʔaray.
– What will you do after this?
– phǒm ca mây kin plaa dìp ʔìik lǽæw lǎŋ càak níi.
– I will not eat raw fish anymore from now on.
– lǎŋ càak níi, chán wǎŋ wâa raw ca dâay cəə kan ʔìik.
– After this, I hope we will be able to meet again.
– chán ca ʔɔ̀ɔk-kamlaŋ-kaay mâak khɨ̂n lǎŋ càak níi.
– I will exercise more from now on.
Keep on reading: ที่ (thîi) as a word That in Thai.